Monday, February 24, 2014

Homemade Vanilla Yogurt

I was initially turned off by the idea of making yogurt at home thinking I would need special equipment and tools. Boy, was I wrong! The only thing special that I use is my candy thermometer (essential for increased chance of success) and the cultures that I put in my yogurt. But even that isn't necessary, using a good quality plain yogurt without any additives will do the trick as well. I find that I get a thicker yogurt with the cultures that I order from the New England Cheesemaking Company and have had no issues with my yogurt setting. The store bought plain yogurt is a little more finicky, at least it is for me.

One more added tidbit that I absolutely love about this yogurt is I know exactly what is in it, no surprises here. Just milk, sugar (which is optional), vanilla bean and cultures.
I love the vanilla bean flecks in this yogurt!
Homemade Vanilla Yogurt
Ingredients:
  • 1-2 quarts (4-8 cups) milk, whole or 2% preferred
  • 1/3 cup sugar per quart of milk (optional)
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1 packet of yogurt culture or 3 tablespoons per quart of plain yogurt (make sure it has active cultures and no additives, Dannon makes a good one)
  • clean mason jars
  • candy thermometer or instant read thermometer
Directions:
-Place milk and sugar (if using) into a pot. Cut the vanilla bean in half length wise. Scrape the inner beans out and add both the pod and beans to the milk. Whisk to combine. Heat milk to 185 over medium low heat stirring occasionally. Turn heat off when 185 degrees is reached.
-Cool milk to around 110 degrees. While the milk is cooling, turn oven on for 2-3 minutes, then turn off. Sprinkle the culture or add the starter yogurt, let sit for 2 minutes before stirring. Stir to incorporate the culture.
-Pour milk into clean jars. Cover and place in the oven with the light turned on, make sure the oven is off! Leave the milk undisturbed for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours, I prefer over night.
-Check one jar to see if it has set. When the yogurt is set, place in the fridge. Use within 14 days.

Yield: 8 cups of yogurt

Note: If your yogurt does not set, don't throw it out. You can still use it for smoothies and baking. Start out making one quart at a time until you are comfortable with your technique and results.

No comments:

Post a Comment