Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Honey-Vanilla Granola

Granola is a yummy breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack, dessert...okay, granola is a food I could eat all day. It satisfies my sweet tooth and keeps me full until the next meal. This recipe is great as is or with your favorite dried fruits and nuts added to it. It is totally customizable and its pretty good for you to beat!
I added 1/2 cup each of dried cranberries
and chopped dried apricots
One way that I make these an easy grab and go snack is that I pack 1/3 cup of the granola mix into each hole of a greased cupcake pan and bake at 360 for 15-17 minutes. Let them cool completely before removing from the pan (I find it easiest to twist them out). One batch makes 12 exactly. They have a perfect crispy outside and a chewy granola bar-esque center.
 I use the back of my measure scoop to lightly
pack these down before baking
Honey-Vanilla Granola
Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
In the bowl of a stand mixer add everything but the oats. With the paddle attachment, mix until just combined. While mixer is on, slowly add the oats and continue to mix until the oats are well coated.
Spread mixture evenly onto a lightly greased jelly roll pan or cookie sheet (preferably with sides) and bake for 10 minutes. Stir granola and continue to cook for an additional 10-20 minutes, checking and stirring every 5 minutes or so. Because of the sugar and honey in the recipe, this goes from delicious to burnt fairly quickly so make sure to keep an eye on it.
When the granola has reached the desired doneness, let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Yield: about 4 cups

Note:I like to add my dried fruit to the mixture before baking and add nuts the last 5-10 minutes to get them nice and toasted. If I am in the mood for something a little more decadent, I'll add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to the granola mix when I take it out of the oven. Give it a quick stir and let cool completely. It's like dessert for breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. I used some almond extract, and added, raisens, craisens, chopped marichino cherries and chopped walnuts in it, baked it in a flat pan, about 1" thick, and then cut it into bars. yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delish!!! How did the bars hold up? Did they crumble a little or would they stand up to a diaper bag??

    ReplyDelete