Sunday, March 16, 2014

Peachy Corned Beef

My hubby introduced me to this dish and I am so glad that he did. I had only tasted the traditional corned beef of boiled meat, cabbage and potatoes before, in fact, I had no idea it was made any other way. Well, my husband had only ever had it the Peachy way (which has so much flavor) and I distinctly remember him asking me if I was sure I cooked the corned beef correctly the first I made it for him when we were newlyweds! After a few more questions and a lot of laughs we finally figured out that we both had very different memories of corned beef. So I asked my Mother-in-Law for a copy of the recipe, made it the following week and I have never made it the old way again. I crave this corned beef and make a point to purchase extra briskets when they go on sale after St. Paddy's Day just so I can have more of it in the few months that follow! And...with a pressure cooker it only takes an hour for tender corned beef!

The saltiness of the corned beef and the
sweetness of the peaches are an
awesome combination!

Peachy Corned Beef
Ingredients:
  • 4 pound corned beef brisket
  • 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 1/8's
  • 4-5 medium red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 can (29 ounce) peach slices, reserve 1/4 cup peach juice
  • Glaze
  • 1/4 cup peach juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions:
Cook corned beef brisket with spice packet until tender according to your preferred method. My preferred method is the pressure cooker (surprise, surprise) at high pressure for 55 minutes.
Let cool for an hour in the cooking liquid (do not throw cooking liquid away). When cool, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices across the grain and place in a 3 quart baking dish, overlapping the pieces. Arrange the peach slices around the edge.
Whisk the glaze ingredients in a medium bowl or measuring cup. Pour 3/4 of glaze over peaches and corned beef.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes to an hour, pouring the rest of the glaze over the peaches after 30 minutes or so. While corned beef is baking, cook cabbage and potatoes in the cooking liquid to desired tenderness.
When corned beef is done remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before serving. Plate it with your cabbage, potatoes and a little extra mustard on the side, oh baby!

Yield: 6 servings

These make awesome sandwiches the next day!

The heavy syrup canned peaches work best but I have been using the natural juice peaches for awhile now. They work well but the glaze doesn't get quite as thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment