Thursday, January 23, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

My husband knows that it is hard for me to study when our boys are awake and in full force so every now and then he kicks me out of the house and sends me to Panera. Their free wifi is awesome...and so is the broccoli cheddar soup! I love it, I get it every time I go. It was during one of my Panera study sessions that I came up with a brilliant idea, I'm going to make this soup myself! It took several okay batches (and one awful batch) to finally create the soup at home. I think the key is using the steaming liquid and sautéing the onions and carrots before adding the rest of the ingredients.
The star of the show
 
Perfect for the snow days we have been having.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups broccoli
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 3 cups broth + steaming liquid
  • 1 cup milk (whole preferred)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 8 slices of American cheese
  • 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • salt and black pepper to taste
Directions:
Steam broccoli for 6 minutes, reserve the steaming liquid. Chop broccoli into small pieces.
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and carrot, sauté for 2-3 minutes, just until onion is soft.
Add enough broth to steaming liquid to equal 3 cups, add to saucepan. Mix flour and milk together, also add to saucepan. Add broccoli and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens slightly. Do not heat at too high a temperature or cheese may curdle.

Yields: 4 servings

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Loved this recipe! Such an easy meal to make and tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I like having it with a grilled cheese, actually, any soup with a grilled cheese is go for me :-) I love cheese!

    ReplyDelete