Monday, January 27, 2014

Fish Taco Tuesday

I challenged myself to feed my family for under $250 per month this year and have been going through my go to recipes and seeing how I can revamp them to make them more affordable. I have to be honest, I have enjoyed doing this very much. I get a secret thrill in finding ways to make our food for less, I know, I am a bit crazy.

Right now Tuesday is our designated taco day, and our go to taco is fish. We love them with all the fixings...avocado, salsa, cheese, sour cream, limes, etc. But it adds up fast! I wanted to find a way to keep our tacos cheap but just as delicious. What I came up with may seem so sacrilegious to the fish taco enthusiast but it works for us, and you know what, we have had these tacos every Tuesday for the last 2 months and have not gotten tired of them.

These tacos keep the tang, heat and flavor of the original but for far less moolah!

Fish sticks (trust me!), tangy slaw and salsa!
If you are a bit weirded out by the fish sticks, I'm daring, no, triple dog daring you (yes, I went there) to try it just once. If you still don't like them then substitute whatever fish you would like.

Fish Tacos
Ingredients:
  • 18-21 fish sticks (we love these)
  • 1/2 bag of coleslaw mix or a small head of cabbage shredded
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
  • pepper to taste
  • your favorite salsa, we enjoy salsa verde (will post recipe soon)
  • 6-7 corn tortillas
Directions:
Cook fish sticks according to directions, usually 425 for 15-17 minutes, flipping half way.
While fish is cooking, place the vinegar, mayonnaise, sugar, mustard, celery salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth, add coleslaw mix (or cabbage) and stir until well coated.
Heat corn tortillas, I like to wrap all the tortillas in foil and add it to the last 3-4 minutes that the fish is in the oven.
Assemble tacos, by putting fish, then coleslaw and last the salsa, in the tortilla.

Yields: 6-7 tacos, about 3 fish sticks per taco

If the budget allows it, we like to splurge on some yummy shrimp (broiled with a little butter), the slaw and salsa compliment the shrimp very well.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment